Filton is a town in South Gloucestershire, England, situated on the northern outskirts of the city of Bristol, about 4.5 miles from the city centre. Filton lies in Bristol postcode areas BS7 and BS34. The town centres upon Filton Church, which dates back to the 12th century and is a grade II listed building. Further north are the towns of Patchway and Bradley Stoke. The name of the town comes from the Old English feleþe (hay), and tūn (farm, field). The name dates back to at least 1187.